Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Let there be Peace on Earth

"This world's a city full of straying streets, and death's the market-place where each one meets."
William Shakespeare, d. 23 April 1616
Two things, m'dears. No, three, the third being man oh man, it's cold in here! The temperature must be dropping and aren't I grateful - and I am, Gracious Spirit, for my furnace and lo, these many layers I've got on. The other two are these: I just heard that a good and decent public servant, devoted husband & father, passed away, got his ticket punched and relieved of his burdensome old body. Sargent Shriver was born in the fall of 1915, about six months after the RMS Lusitania was sunk, just five days before another man, who was dedicated to making the world better, Booker T. Washington left this Vale of Tears & Wonder for the Blue Beyond. Mr. Shriver, the first leader of the Peace Corps, slipped out through the door marked January 18 [as did Rudyard Kipling in 1936 and & into the market-place. Many a dear one waiting there, let's hope.
And another thing, I fooled with the settings hereabouts and my brilliant friend Kid Bardwell managed to leave a comment on my Winter Morning post [the one w/Natalie's super recipe for Scotch Graham Rolls]. Comments! Wahoo-baybee!
No, four: thanks again, G.S. for Cary Grant, who came into a hard world on 18 Jan. 1904.

1 comment:

  1. And may Mr. Shriver arrive at a less calamitous place than this world.

    ReplyDelete