Saturday, June 12, 2010

Tomorrow Turned Out To Be Today

So, if the world wasn't so rotten, Anne Frank might well be celebrating her 81st birthday today. Pretty gloomy I've been lately, despite all the blessings there are to count.
1. It's a Saturday in June.
2. On my kitchen table is a trio of tomatoes from the farmers' market up at the Square.
3. A big whacking thunderstorm blew away the soupy air in which we'd all been marinating.
4. There's an Andy Griffith Show marathon on: the good, black & white ones. www.tvland.com
5. And I had the wherewithal to take myself to the fabric store this morning. (Melancholy? Make something.) I dug out an old Folkwear Pattern, [ folkwear.com ], my scissors, & pins. Between now and tomorrow my old Singer and I are going to turn 5.5 yards of printed cotton into a "Calico Day Dress, A Turn-of-the-Century Wrapper." Why? In the very near future I'll be talking to bunches of folks about the past. Stay tuned.
And remember Anne.
"Everyone," she wrote, "has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"
Let her words be her birthday gift to me & you.

No comments:

Post a Comment