Thursday, April 29, 2010

Truth

So, it was in the earliest 1990s when I began work on my first of a long string of historical picture books, Three Young Pilgrims. Only today, as I found out by way of my encyclopedia that today's the anniversary of the birth of that egomaniacal, remarkable William Randolph Hearst (1863, just for you to know) that he once said this: “Try to be conspicuously accurate in everything, pictures as well as text. Truth is not only stranger than fiction, it is more interesting.” I don't know that Mr. Hearst was consistently consistent in the telling of truth - I mean have we not seen Citizen Kane? But that long-gone newspaper hound, millionaire/compulsive collector & power monger who used to reign over San Simeon surely summed up what I've been trying to do all these years. He gave me, for his birthday, some words to keep on living and working by. Thanks a bunch, no foolin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment