Monday, September 6, 2010

Jessie

So, just for you to know, a fine, hardworking illustrator, one of my all-time favorites, Jessie Willcox Smith, was born on this day in 1863, a couple of months after the horrific Battle of Gettysburg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessie_Willcox_Smith If I didn't have a boatoad of work to get to my own self I'd point out that Miss Jessie [she never married, never had children of her own, much preferring to paint them rather than having to fool with them all day long. amen.] turned 31 in 1894, the year that President Cleveland signed the paperwork, making Labor Day a national holiday, to take some of the sting out of the fact that he'd sicced federal troops on striking railroad workers.

1 comment:

  1. I like Jesse Wilcox Smith too Cheryl.
    Am a fan of your books from long-distance. I began following yours with the Abraham Lincoln as a boy one. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete