Friday, January 6, 2012

Man Oh Man, Where Does the Time Go?


"Life is like an onion; you peel it off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep." Carl Sandburg wrote that. He shares a birthday w/Joan of Arc, 'bout 500, no, 466 years apart, seeing as if the powers that were hadn't set fire to her, the Maid of Lorraine would have been 600 years old today; can you believe it? . And if I were not absolutely drowning in work - needing even now, right exactly this minute, to be doing a pen & ink dwg of 1827 pioneers being ferried across the Missouri River to the Arrow Rock landing - I'd wax on about poor J. of A., bless her soul. What she DID! And oh my gosh, what DID she look like? Sound like? I mean, she and her world did exist; I know they did as I know there really were 1827 gadabouts, probably bitching w/ one another about the 1828 election coming up, but I cannot imagine those times, those places, those people. I mean, I can, but do I believe in them? I guess I have to. History is such an abstraction, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment