Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sorrow & Rainbows


"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen & licked out all the pots. Then I have stood on the peaky mountain wrapped in rainbows, with a harp and sword in my hands."
Zora Neale Hurston, whose birthday is today. Born she was on the 7th of January, 1891. Now, if I hadn't gotten in the habit of birthday-checking [I note them in a little second-hand, red-bound Birthday Book, larded w/ Chas. Dickens quotations. Vicki Grove gave it to me, bless her.] & quote-collecting, never would I have come across those beautiful words. Now. A fast walk 'round the block then down to work: Words to fuss with: double-checking a little piece about the remarkable Hiram Young [slave-turned-freeman-businessman-wagon manufacturer, b. 200 yrs ago this year] Drawing to be done. Gotta draw the Prairie Park Plantation c. 1849 for my Arrow Rock [MO] Coloring Book. I reckon Mr. Young and more than a few forgotten souls at the old plantation knew a thing or two about sorrow. And, let's hope, at least one peaky mountain wrapped in rainbows.

No comments:

Post a Comment