Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine

"Find out what any people will quietly submit to & you have the exact measure of the injustice & wrong which will be imposed on them."

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men [and women]."

"No man can put a chain around the ankle of his fellow man w/o at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck."

Frederick Douglass, who was born on this day in history, in 1818.


So, I didn't send any valentines. I meant to [but I've been too obsessed w/ current enthusiasm: my illustrated Missouri History - I want to have it done by spring] & I felt especially badly, having happily rec'd a few. Frankly, not wishing to wish the days of my life away, I'll still be glad to see this holiday over with. Pretty sick & tired I am of all these sappy commercials. Ah well. Still I might well have sent one to this guy. What a heroic and remarkable gentleman Mr. Douglass was. I hope he knows that he's still remembered & honored. He's well more than some Black History Month icon. Frederick Douglass and his example ought to be remembered every day of the year. God rest him.
"We have to do with the past only as we can make it useful to the present and the future."
F. D. 1818 ~ 1895

No comments:

Post a Comment