Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Robert Penn Warren, born this day 1905:


 "The poem is a little myth of man's capacity of making life meaningful. And in the end, the poem is not a thing we see - it is, rather, a light by which we see - and what we see is life."


What a wonderful writer this man was! If you haven't yet read & experienced his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, All the King's Men (1946), do avail yourself of the pleasure. Meanwhile, revel in and savor his poem, 


Tell Me a Story



[ A ]
Long ago, in Kentucky, I, a boy, stood
By a dirt road, in first dark, and heard
The great geese hoot northward.

I could not see them, there being no moon
And the stars sparse.  I heard them.

I did not know what was happening in my heart.

It was the season before the elderberry blooms,
Therefore they were going north.

The sound was passing northward.

[ B ]
Tell me a story.

In this century, and moment, of mania,
Tell me a story.

Make it a story of great distances, and starlight.

The name of the story will be Time,
But you must not pronounce its name.

Tell me a story of deep delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment