Saturday, March 10, 2012

Women's History Month No. 11


So, ponder just a few of the terrific things this lady had to say:

"There is a place in God's sun for the youth 'farthest down,' who has the vision, the determination, and the courage to reach it."

"The whole world opened to me when I learned to read."

"The drums of Africa still beat in my heart. They will not let me rest while there is a single Negro boy or girl without a chance to prove his worth."

"Next to God we are indebted to women, first for life itself and then for making it worth living."

Mary McLeod Bethune (1875 ~1955)

And here's another LINK, well worth checking out.
If you're seeing this picture here, you're looking at more than a civil rights leader, more than an educator, a founder of a highly regarded school for young African Americans, even more than an advisor to President Franklin D. Roosevelt. You're looking at a bright, warm dynamo, who started out in life as the 15th child of former slaves. In South Carolina, just ten years after the end of the Civil War. I mean - golly!
I'm ashamed to say that I had not given Mary McLeod Bethune much thought. I'm ashamed that I've never heard Mrs. Bethune's name said out loud. I had to look up how to pronounce her maiden name. It's like McCloud. Really, here I am signing off to go read more about this lady.






No comments:

Post a Comment