Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Women's History Month No. 28

Oh baybee, when I was a college student, I was in LOVE with this beautiful photograph. How beautiful she was. That pristine profile, that look of wistfulness. I didn't care about the person. I didn't think about what she did, said, where she went, after the shutter clicked and the picture-taking was done for the day. I hadn't read her books. All I might have known were her most quoted words:

"A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction."
OR:
"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman."

But get a load of this:

"It is far more difficult to murder a phantom than a reality."

True enough. A deathless phantom is what Virginia Woolf became, thanks to her books. Thanks to the film The Hours [in which Nicole Kidman portrayed her w/ such intelligence -- way too much was made of the nose] and thanks to what this celebrated author did on another 28th of March, in 1941, down at the River Ouse, when the world and sorrow were too much with her
Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment