Monday, March 5, 2012

Women's History Month No. 3



Okay, he was never a woman – perhaps in another life or two – but I have to say something about the great Howard Pyle, [wow, I'd never seen this site before - very cool] for this illustrator, author & teacher of illustrators [to such as the great N.C. Wyeth, Harvey Dunn, muralist Violet Oakley, and many more] who towered over the Golden Age of Illustration at the beginning of the 20th Century, would have turned 159 today if he hadn't croaked years ago. What a glorious painter, but I adore his intricate pen & ink.
But, as it is indeed W.H.Month, one of Mr. Pyle's students was Jessie Willcox Smith (1863-1935) and I'd write more about her, but I totally have to get to work. Let me just say that this tender painter of children, this lovely artist and independent woman, I so would have loved to know, to have been in her circle of friends, but then I'd be dead now, too.
Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment